Dubai license plate is a unique way to identify vehicles on the roads. They come in a variety of different colors, designs, and styles, making them a sought-after item among car enthusiasts.
In this article, we’ll go over everything you need to know about these number plates, from what they look like to how to apply for your own. We’ll also discuss the various rules and regulations surrounding these license plates and the different plates available.
So whether you’re a car aficionado or just looking to learn more about license plates, this article has something for everyone. Let’s dive into the full article.
The History Of Dubai License Plate
In 1981, the city introduced the first car registration plates, marking the beginning of the history of the Dubai License Plate. Initially, these license plates were simple white plates with black letters and numbers. As Dubai grew into a global hub for luxury and opulence, the license plates evolved into something more. The authority introduced the first specialty license plates in 2000. Since then, the License Plate has become a symbol of status and wealth.
Types Of Dubai License Plates
There are various types of license plates available in Dubai, each with its unique features and significance. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular types of Dubai license plates.
Type 1: Number Plate With A Single Digit
The number plates with a single digit are the most exclusive and expensive type of Dubai license plate. The authority typically reserves these plates for members of the royal family or high-profile individuals.
Type 2: License Plate With Repeated Digits
Dubai license plates with repeated digits are also highly sought after by car enthusiasts. The more the repetition of a number, the higher the value of the plate. For instance, a number plate with five or six repetitions of the same digit can cost millions of dollars.
Type 3: License Plate With A Special Number
The license plate with a special number in Dubai is also quite popular among car enthusiasts. They typically choose the numbers based on their significance to the owner. For example, if a person’s birthday is on the 15th, they may choose a license plate with the number 15.
Type 4: License Plate With Letters Only
Owners can choose number plates with letters based only on their name or initials. These plates, which are less expensive than plates with numbers, are often used as an alternative to traditional license plates.
Dubai Vehicle Plate Code
Dubai vehicle plate codes typically comprise a combination of letters and numbers. The format of the code is as follows:
- The first two letters indicate the registration emirate. In Dubai, this will always be “DX”.
- The next two numbers indicate the code for the vehicle’s plate category, such as private or commercial.
- Authority generates the next four numbers randomly.
- The last letter indicates the year the vehicle was first registered, with “A” representing 2013, “B” representing 2014, and so on.
An example of a Dubai vehicle plate code is “DX 12 3456 C,” which indicates that a privately owned vehicle was first registered in 2012.
Dubai Vehicle Registration Plate Categories
In Dubai, they categorize number plates based on a variety of factors. These include the type of vehicle, the age of the vehicle, and the rarity of the plate itself. Here are some of the most common categories of vehicle number plates in Dubai:
- Private plates: The owner can personalize these plates, usually with a combination of letters and numbers, and hold special meaning to them.
- Dubai government plates: The Dubai government issues these plates to their vehicles, which usually have the format of ‘D’ followed by a number.
- Classic car plates: Vehicles that are over 30 years old receive these plates with a unique numbering system that starts with ‘C’.
- Auction plates: These plates are unique and highly sought after by collectors, and are sold through government-run auctions. They usually include a combination of letters and numbers that are easy to remember or reflect a special significance.
- Special number plates: Government officials, VIPs, and individuals with a special status receive these plates for their vehicles. The plates have a unique combination of letters and numbers that reflects the person’s status.
Dubai License Plate Colors
In Dubai, the color of a vehicle’s number plate indicates the type of vehicle and its usage.
- Private vehicles: The standard number plate color for private vehicles is white with black lettering. Commercial vehicles get a yellow plate with black lettering,
- Taxi: Taxis have a distinctive red plate with white lettering.
- Government vehicles: These vehicles get a blue plate with white lettering.
- Diplomatic vehicles: These types of vehicles contain a white plate with green lettering.
- Motorcycles: Motorcycles have a white plate with black lettering.
- Newly purchased vehicles: Temporary plates for newly purchased vehicles are red plates with white lettering.
The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) regulates the color and design of license plates in Dubai to ensure proper identification and registration of vehicles.
How Do You Get A Registration Plate In Dubai?
Getting a License Plate in Dubai is not an easy feat, as there are a limited number of plates available, and they are in high demand. The Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) issues license plates in Dubai. Acquiring a license plate involves attending an auction or purchasing one from a private seller.
Dubai License Plate Auction
The RTA occasionally holds auctions where individuals and businesses can bid for exclusive number plates for their vehicles. These auctions usually include unique number plate combinations or plates with special letter combinations.
The RTA number plate auctions are popular among car enthusiasts and collectors who will pay premium prices for these exclusive plates. They typically conduct the auction process online, and interested bidders can register on the RTA website to take part.
These auctions fund road safety and transport-related initiatives in Dubai. Individuals and businesses can also get personalized number plates with specific letter and number combinations from the RTA. To take part in the Dubai RTA number plate auction or learn about personalized plates, visit their website or contact them for more details.
The Significance Of Dubai License Plate
License plate in Dubai has gained significant cultural and social significance over the years. Here, license plates are more than just a way to identify a vehicle. They represent the owner’s social status and identity, and owning a unique or prestigious license plate is a symbol of wealth and status.
Unique or personalized license plate numbers are highly sought after here. The richest people in Dubai are willing to pay millions of dollars to gain them. For example, in 2016, a business owner from Abu Dhabi paid AED 33 million (USD 8.9 million) for license plate “1” in an auction.
Overall, the Dubai license plate has become a cultural icon in the UAE. These reflect the country’s values of wealth, luxury, and exclusivity.
Frequently Asked Question
How Much Does A License Plate Cost In Dubai?
The cost of a license plate depends on several factors in Dubai. These include the type of plate, the number combination, and whether it is a personalized plate. Prices can range from a few hundred dirhams to thousands of dirhams.
Can You Choose Your Own License Plate Number In Dubai?
Yes, you can apply for a personalized or “vanity” license plate in Dubai. However, these are subject to availability and additional fees.
How Do You Renew Your License Plate Registration In Dubai?
You can renew your license plate registration online through the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) website. You can also use the mobile app, or in person, at an RTA customer service center.
Can You Transfer Your Number Plate To Another Vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer your number plate to another vehicle, as long as both vehicles are registered in your name and meet the eligibility criteria for license plate transfer.
What Would You Do If Your Registration Plate Is Lost Or Stolen?
If your registration plate is lost or stolen, report it to the police and obtain a police report. You can then apply for a replacement plate through the RTA.
A Dubai license plate is more than just a way to identify a vehicle. It has become a symbol of social status and wealth in the UAE. Unique and personalized license plates are highly coveted and sold for millions of dollars in auctions.
These plates also play a role in funding various road safety and transport-related initiatives in the city. License plate auctions fund transportation and road safety improvements, enhancing residents’ quality of life. The Dubai license plate has become a cultural icon in the UAE. It reflects the country’s values of wealth, luxury, and a commitment to progress and development.